This article details how to deploy our products via Microsoft Intune. If you’re installing classroom.cloud via Intune, please refer to the following document:
Before starting, it’s recommended that you have installed the software manually on a device at least once (that won’t have the software distributed to it via Intune) with the Setup.exe installer. This is so you have access to files such as our ADMX templates which may prove useful when configuring our software later on.
You have created a group within Intune that contains the device you wish to install (or allow the software to be installed onto). For information on creating a group within Intune, please see the following Microsoft documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/fundamentals/groups-add.
You will also need to ensure you have the .msi installer for each product you wish to install via Intune. The installers can be downloaded from here:
- All products (including older versions): https://support.netsupportsoftware.com/
- NetSupport Manager (latest version only): https://www.netsupportmanager.com/downloads/
- NetSupport School (latest version only): https://www.netsupportschool.com/download/
- NetSupport DNA Corporate (latest version only): https://www.netsupportdna.com/corporate/downloads.asp
- NetSupport DNA Education (latest version only): https://www.netsupportdna.com/education/downloads.asp
- NetSupport Notify (latest version only): https://www.netsupportnotify.com/downloads/
This technical article assumes you’re using the full Intune console. If you’re using the Intune for Education console, then the steps will be slightly different.
Creating an installation package (line-of-business app) in Intune
In order to install our products via Intune, you must create a line-of-business app within Intune. Line-of-business apps are essentially applications that you install via an installation file.
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Management admin centre.
- Select Apps > Windows > Add.
- Within the “Select app type” pane, under the other app types, select Line-of-business app.
- Click Select. The Add app steps should be displayed.
- Under the “Add app” pane, click Select app package file.
- Click the Browse button and then select the .msi installer for the product you wish to install.
- Note that the only installation file we support distributing via Intune is our .msi installers. Modifying the installers or installer type can potentially cause a broken or corrupt installation.
- See Prerequisites for information on where to obtain our .msi installers.
- Click OK on the App package file to add the app.
- Go to App information and enter the following:
- Under “Name”, enter a name for the product you’re installing (for example, “NetSupport Manager Control and Client”).
- Under “Description”, provide more information on what the package is going to install (for example, “NetSupport Manager Control and Client and Client Configurator installation”).
- Set “Ignore app version” to No.
- Under “Publisher”, enter “NetSupport Ltd”.
Note: Some of the information may have already been filled in automatically for you.
- When distributing via Intune, you can tell the installer what to install by using command-line arguments:
- For a full list of command-line arguments for each installer, please see the following technical article:
- Continuing from the example in step 8, if you want to install a licensed NetSupport Manager Control with the Client and Client Configurator, you should enter the following (note you will need to change the licence information to match the information on your licence sheet):
/qn NSM_EVAL=0 NSM_LICENCEE="LICENCEE" NSM_SERIALNO=SERIAL NSM_MAXCLIENTS=0 NSM_AUTHCODE=0x0000000a CLIENT=1 CONFIGURATOR=1 CONTROL=1 CONTROLDESKICON=1 CLIENTICON=1 CONFIGICON=1
- Click Next to proceed to Assignments.
- Choose how you would like the package to be assigned to your devices. You can select from one of the following:
- Available for enrolled devices
- This will only uninstall the package if Intune previously installed the package onto the device via an “Available for enrolled devices” or “Required” assignment using the same deployment.
- Click Add Group (under the method you would like to use) to assign the package to the devices you want the software to be installed onto or allow the software to be installed to.
- If you’re not ready to deploy the app to your devices yet, you can leave this blank, click Next and configure the assignments later.
- Once you’re happy with the groups selected, click Next.
- You can now review everything before creating the app. If everything is configured correctly, click Create to start uploading the package.
- Once the package has been uploaded, your devices that are part of the assignment sync with Intune (note this can take some time) and pick up the app assignment changes. If you set the app to be Required, it will attempt to automatically install the software.
Please note that depending on your environment and the product you’re installing, you may need to configure some additional settings for the software. The three most common ways to configure our software is via Group Policy, via “Configuration profiles” in Microsoft Intune or manually configuring the software. For information on configuring our software via Intune, please contact our Support team.