Backing up your NetSupport Manager Control configuration settings is possible. This may be useful when you have several Controls where the same configuration is required, you want to back up data in case of system failure, or you wish to migrate your Control settings from one machine to a new installation of NetSupport Manager on another machine.
To back up your current NetSupport Manager Control configuration, including:
- Client lists
- Remote network settings
- Custom scripts
- NetSupport Connectivity Servers (Gateways)
- Tutor Console settings – this will only apply if the NetSupport School components have been installed on the Control.
The following method can be used to backup all files and settings:
- Copy all .nsm files (client.nsm, group.nsm etc).
- Copy all .nss files (if NetSupport School components are installed).
From NetSupport Manager v10.20 these files will be located in the user data on the Control machine (%APPDATA%\NetSupport\NetSupport Manager). Before version 10.20, the files are located in the NetSupport Manager program installation directory.
- Copy all .scp files.
If scripts have been created, these files are located in the user data on the Control machine (%APPDATA%\NetSupport\NetSupport Manager).
- Copy the nsm.lic (licence file) – this is only required if backing up your configuration. N.B. If you wish to migrate your Control settings to a new installation, copying the old nsm.lic file could cause a licensing issue on the new machine and is not recommended.
- From NetSupport Manager v10.20 export the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NetSupport Ltd\PCICTL\ConfigList (all operating systems)
- For all versions export the registry key: (if using the NSMuseHKLM registry key):
32bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Productive Computer Insight
64bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Productive Computer Insight
Alternatively if you would like to just create a backup of the configuration settings of the NetSupport Manager Control you can follow the below steps:
- Launch the NetSupport Manager Control
- Access the Tools drop down menu
- Select Configurations…
- Highlight the required Configuration from the list you wish to create a backup of
- Click the Save button
- This will prompt you to choose a location and name to store the .cfg
- Click save to create the cfg backup of the Control settings