Creating packages in NetSupport DNA
There are two ways to create packages for use within NetSupport DNA.
1 – Creating a package manually
A package can be created in NetSupport DNA using Software Distribution. Simply choose the files and folders from your machine and combine these to make a package. You can then set actions and parameters to these files to execute them or set certain special settings.
2 – Using the Application Packager
The Application Packager comes as part of the NetSupport DNA installation. It allows you to run an installation on one machine and ‘record’ all steps taken to install the application. All keystrokes, mouse movements and clicks during the installation of the application will be recorded.
Methods of software deployment in NetSupport DNA
NetSupport DNA provides two methods for delivery of software packages to Agent machines. Once you have created a package using one of the options above (this can only be done by an Operator with DNA Administrator rights), the package can be ‘pushed’ to target machines or ‘advertised’ for users to access and install.
1 – Distribute a package
Send the package directly to the selected Agent machines.
- In the Tree view, highlight the Agent, department, AD container, Dynamic Group or company that you wish to distribute the package to.
- Right-click and select Distribute.
- Select the package to send and click OK.
- Decide when you want the package to be sent (immediately or at a specific date/time).
- Click OK.
- The package will be sent to the target machines.
2 – Advertise a package
Advertising a package gives Agents the opportunity to install a package at their convenience.
- In the Tree view, highlight the department, AD container or company that you wish to advertise the package to.
- Right-click and select Advertise.
- Select the required package and click Advertise.
- Click OK.
- The package will be advertised at Agent machines.
- At the Agent machine, right click the NetSupport DNA Agent icon in the system tray and select Request Package.
- A list of packages will be displayed. Select the required package and click Fetch. The application setup files will be executed at the Agent.