When installing SQL for use with NetSupport DNA or NetSupport ServiceDesk, the Database login mode should be set to mixed mode before installing NetSupport DNA/ServiceDesk.
SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2017/2019 Express configuration
Note: The screenshots below are taken from a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express installation, but the method and configuration are also applicable when using SQL Server 2008, 2014, 2016, 2017 or 2019 Express.
- During the SQL Express installation, you will be prompted to select the authentication mode that the SQL Server will use for incoming connections.
Select the Mixed Mode Authentication option and enter a password for the SQL Server administration (sa) user account.
Note: This password must be complex, i.e. it must contain both uppercase and lowercase letters and a numeric character.
- Once the SQL Server installation has completed successfully, open the SQL Server Configuration Manager. Select, Start – All Programs – Microsoft SQL Server 2012 – Configurations Tools – SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Click SQL Server Services and double click SQL Server Browser. Select the Service tab and, using the arrow next to Start Mode, change the setting to Automatic. Click OK.
- Right click on SQL Server Browser and click Start to start the service.
- Click the arrow next to SQL Server Network Configuration and then click Protocols for SQLEXPRESS. Double click on Named Pipes and use the down arrow to change the Enabled setting to Yes.
Note: A message will appear informing you that the settings will not be saved until the SQL Server services are restarted. Click OK.
- Double click on TCP/IP and use the down arrow to change the Enabled setting to Yes.
Note: A message will appear informing you that the settings will not be applied until the SQL Server services are restarted. Click OK.
- Click on SQL Server Services and right-click on SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS). Click Restart.
- Open the SQL Server Management Studio. Select Start – All Programs – Microsoft SQL Server 2012 – SQL Server Management Studio.
- On the Connect to Server window, ensure the login is set to sa, and then enter the complex password you created. If you do not want to be prompted to enter the sa user password each time you open the SQL Server Management Studio, select Remember password. Click Connect.
- The Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio window will appear showing the SQL Server installation running on the machine.
The SQL Server has now been configured for use with a NetSupport DNA/ServiceDesk software installation.