Within NetSupport DNA dynamic groups can be used to identify machines that do not have the required Microsoft hotfixes installed.
Creating a query
First, a query needs to be created to find the machines that do have the Microsoft hotfix installed. This then needs to be marked as a subquery so a dynamic group can identify machines which do not have the hotfix installed.
Note: In this example, we will use hotfix KB4528760 which is a Windows 10 hotfix.
- In the DNA Console, select the Tools tab and click the Query Tool icon.
- To add a new query, click .
- The New Query dialog will appear. Enter a name for this.
- Select the Options tab and click Mark as a subquery. Click OK.
- The Query Tool Editor dialog will be displayed. Add the following source fields to the Display Fields section using the arrow keys:
From the PC Information section:
From the Software Information > Software Inventory section:
- You also need to add the above Hotfix field to the Condition Fields section.
- The Condition Editor dialog will appear. Select is equal to from the Condition drop-down menu and enter KB4528760 (or the hotfix number you’re looking for) in the Value field. Click OK.
Example Query Tool Editor
- To run the query, click . Once run, the query will list the machines which have hotfix KB4528760.
- Click OK.
Creating a dynamic group
Once you have created the query to show machines which have the KB4528760 hotfix installed, you can now create a dynamic group.
- In the DNA Console, go to the PCs hierarchy Tree view, right click Dynamic Groups and select New Dynamic Group.
- The New Dynamic Group dialog will appear.
- Enter a name for the dynamic group and click OK.
- In the Dynamic User Groups Editor, add the Computer Name source field from the PC Information section into the Condition Fields section using the arrow key.
- The Condition Editor dialog will appear. Select not in subquery from the Condition drop-down menu. Click and select the query that you created earlier, click OK and then OK.
- As hotfix KB4528760 is Windows 10 specific, you need to add the OS Name source field from the PC Information section into the Condition Fields section.
- In the Condition Editor dialog, select starts with from the Condition drop-down menu and enter Windows 10 into the Value field. This will cover all variants of Windows 10. Click OK.
Example Dynamic User Groups Editor
- To run the query, click . All machines running Windows 10 that do not have hotfix KB4528760 installed will be listed.
- Click OK. The dynamic group will now appear in the General folder under Dynamic Groups in the PCs Tree view.
You now have a dynamic group which lists all machines that do not have hotfix KB4528760 installed. This group will automatically update and any machines that have the hotfix installed will no longer appear.
The above steps can be altered to look for specific hotfixes by changing the condition values to match the hotfix that you are looking for.