It is possible to configure the NetSupport Notify Server details using the ADM templates that are provided with a NetSupport Notify installation.
First, you need to apply the ADMX and ADML templates to the PolicyDefinitions folder on your domain controller (usually found in %systemroot%\sysvol\domain\policies\PolicyDefinitions)
The templates can be found in (on a machine with the Notification Console installed):
32bit C:\Program Files\NetSupport\NetSupport Notify\ADM Templates
64bit C:\Program Files (x86)\NetSupport\NetSupport Notify\ADM Templates
Place the ADMX files in PolicyDefinitions and the ADML files in the language folder (en-US).
Open the Group Policy Management Console, create a policy at the level of your choice (we recommend Domain level for these settings) and navigate to the following settings:
Note: We recommend applying the Server settings policies to the machines.
- Agent configuration: Administrative Templates|NetSupport Notify Agent settings|Agent Configuration|General
The policy is called Primary Notification Server details. Set this to ENABLED.
Enter the Server IP address, port number and the encrypted value of the Server key.*
- Console configuration: Administrative Templates|NetSupport Notify Console settings|Console Configuration|Notify Server connections
The policy is called Notification Server 1. Set this to ENABLED.
Enter the Server IP address, port number and the encrypted value of the Server key.**
Note: Use the same key plain text value. The encrypted values will be different for the Agent and the Console.
*Getting the key encrypted value for the Notification Agent
- On a machine with the Agent installed, launch the AgentConfig.exe. This is located in:
32bit C:\Program Files\NetSupport\NetSupport Notify
64bit C:\Program Files (x86)\NetSupport\NetSupport Notify
- Enter the plain text value in the Key and Confirm Key fields.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- On the Agent machine, in the same folder as the AgentConfig.exe locate the file name config.dat.
- Open the Config.dat in Notepad and retrieve the entry after gatewaykey=.
**Getting the key encrypted value for the Notification Console
- Open the Notification Console.
- Click Servers and then click Add.
- Enter the Server details and the Server key plain text value.
- Click OK to save the settings.
- Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\NetSupport\NetSupport Notify\Console.
- Copy the encrypted value found under Servers\Key_0.
Note: We recommend that you keep a record of these encrypted values for any future use.
You can now add the encrypted values to the GPOs to apply to your Notify Agents and Consoles.