This document describes steps for importing student data from SIMS 7 into ReallySchool. SIMS 7 can export student data as CSV (comma-separated values) files. These files can then be used to import student data into ReallySchool.
For your convenience, you can download this template to make the process much quicker:
Once you have downloaded this file follow the instructions below. Although we recommend using the template, if you would rather, you can design your own report. To do this, see the Designing your own report section in this document.
Exporting data from SIMS 7 using the ReallySchool template
- Launch the SIMS.net application, and log in as an admin user.
- From the File menu, select Reports-> Import-> and select the ReallySchool template you downloaded (named RS Student Roll). Press Import and close the box.
- Edit the report:
– From the top menu, select Reports -> Design Report.
– Select Open.
– Select the RS Student Roll report (the one you just imported).
- Press Next until you reach the Define Filter page.
If you don’t want to filter your report (e.g. to only include some of your year groups), then continue to press Next until you reach the Define Presentations page and move on to step 6. If you want to apply filters, follow step 5.
- Define filter:
- By default, the report will export all students, classes, year groups etc. in the school.
- You can filter what is exported on the Define Filter page.
- For instance, you may only wish to include specific year groups.
- To add filters, select New and pick the filters you want from the fields list.
- Define presentations:
- Select Text under the Select the presentation for the report list.
- If you want the file location to differ from where you saved the template, then press Browse and select a new location to save the report – use the same name RS Student Roll.
- Ensure the name is showing as a .csv file and the format box says Comma separated.
- Ensure the Suppress duplicates box is unticked.
- Press Next.
- You will now be on the Design Complete page from here, press Run my Report. When the popup box says the file has been created, press OK.
- Select Save my report.
- Check the file has been saved in your chosen location on your device.
Importing data into ReallySchool
- Log in to ReallySchool as an admin https://portal.reallyschool.com.
- Select Manage school from the sidebar.
- Select Import.
- Select Choose file and pick the RS Student Roll report that you generated (should be a.csv file).
- Select SIMS for the MIS Provider.
- Click Import.
- After a few minutes, the data will be imported in the ReallySchool system.
NB: If you keep certain information on another system (such as teachers), then you will need to manually add that to ReallySchool. Also, please note that ReallySchool will only import the main teachers that are assigned to the classes.
If you wish to create your own report instead of using the template provided, please follow the Designing your own report guidance below.
Designing your own report
Although, we advise you to use the template (as above) for your convenience. You can also design your own report using the steps below.
Exporting data from SIMS using your own report
- Log in to SIMS.
- Select the Reports drop-down menu at the top of the screen and then select Design Report.
- You will now be in the Report Designer mode from here, choose Create a new report.
- You will be prompted to Select Data Area, choose Student as your focus from the list given, then press Next.
- You will be prompted to Refine Data Area ensure this is set to on roll then press Next again.
- Now it is time to select your data fields.
Please note there are some fields where you will need to change the ‘caption’ (the text written in brackets) so that it matches with our format. For example, when you add the Parent title field it says (title) but you will need to change the caption to (Parent: title). The steps below explain how to do this.
To find the fields you need to select, you can either search for them in the Search bar (find) or you can use the guide below to find their locations by category and sub-category.
To select a data field, you click on the relevant field then press the arrow to move the field across.
|Category||Sub-Category (if needed)||Field to select|
|Basic Details||Chosen names||
(Select SEN Needs and the arrow, then select the above fields. Click Student at the top of your fields list to see all the field options again.)
|Pupil Premium Funding Source||
(Select Pupil Premium funding source and the arrow then select the above fields and move them across with the arrow. Click Student at the top of your fields list to see all the field options again.)
(Select Classes and the arrow then select Class name.)
|Teacher Detail-> Basic Details||
Here you need to change the text in brackets. To do this click on the field you moved across which will say ‘Title of the teacher details…’ then press on the Caption box and change the caption to say Teacher: Title
|Teacher Details-> Contact Information||
|Parents||Contact||For all parent fields the text in brackets needs to be changed again using the same method as before (select the field and type in the Caption box) to match the text in brackets below:
|Contact-> Contact Information||
|Contact-> Contact Information-> Home address||
- When you have added all the fields, select Student again at the top of your fields list to make sure the focus of the report says Student.
- Click Next until you reach the Define Filter page (if you do not want to define filters as you want data for all students copied then move on to step 10).
- By default, the report will export all students, classes, year groups etc. in the school. You can filter what is exported on the Define Filter page. For instance, you may only wish to include specific year groups. To add filters, select New then pick the filters you want from the fields list.
- Press the Next button until you reach the Define Presentation page.
- Where you have the option to Select presentation for the Report, click Text.
- Add a report title (e.g. Aston Infants Student Roll).
- Untick the box for Suppress duplicates.
- Choose the format Comma separated (CSV).
- Add the file name and choose where to save it (e.g. Aston-studentroll.csv).
- Select Next.
- You will now be on the Design Complete page. From here, select Run my report and when the pop-up appears to tell you the report has been created, press OK.
- Press Save Report (choose a name, and press OK, it will go to the location you chose in step 15).
- The data now needs importing into ReallySchool, see the section Importing data into ReallySchool above for steps on how to do this.
NB: If you keep certain information on another system (such as teachers), then you will need to manually add that to ReallySchool. The import can take up to 20 minutes.
If you have included all the data fields requested, then you should have 31 fields in total. When importing into ReallySchool, and selecting SIMS as the MIS provider, all of the fields should automatically map to a column name. If fields are still available to map, then it is likely that you have exported the incorrect (or alternate) data fields from SIMS or you have not captioned the fields as requested. At this stage, you can choose to manually assign the unmapped field to the correct column name, or alternatively, you can go back into SIMS and select the correct field or modify the caption as per the instructions. You will need to regenerate the CSV report if you choose the latter option.
For further assistance exporting or importing your data, please email [email protected].